For those of our patients participating in contact sports, we are happy to design and build quality custom dental mouthguards that offer long-lasting protection for teeth. Athletic injuries are an unfortunate side effect of sports. Whether you are a professional athlete or just a serious hobbyist, taking precautions to protect yourself against injury is essential. This simple device that’s designed specifically for your mouth reduces the risk of mouth injury and tooth loss.
Not All Athletic Dental Mouth Guards Are Equal
- There are mouth guards available in sports stores that are said to fit your mouth. But they aren’t designed specifically for your mouth. Boil and fit mouth guards are not as comfortable as custom fitted ones, and may not offer the same protection benefits.
- It has been shown that properly fabricated custom made mouth guards by your dentist can reduce the rate of concussion as well as dental and mandibular (lower jaw) injuries.
- Professionally fabricated custom-made mouth guards have shown a reduction of concussions and head and neck injuries.
- Dental injuries are the most common type of oro-facial injury sustained during participation in sports; the majority of these dental injuries are preventable.
- An athlete is 60 times more likely to sustain damage to the teeth when not wearing a protective mouth guard.
- The cost of a fractured tooth is many times greater than the cost of a dentist diagnosed and designed professionally made mouth guard
Facts about mouth guards:
A properly fitted mouth guard reduces the chances of sustaining a concussion from a blow to the jaw.Mouth guards should be worn at all times during competition, in practice as well as in games. The American Dental Association recommends wearing custom mouth guards for the following sports: acrobats, basketball, boxing, field Hockey, football, gymnastics, handball, ice hockey, lacrosse, martial arts, racquetball, roller hockey, rugby, shot putting, skateboarding, skiing, skydiving, soccer, squash, surfing, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting, wrestling.